Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sodium Nitrate



This day in age, we hear it all the time, preservatives are everywhere! Who knows what can hurt us and what can't and what all of them mixed together will do. I try to go organic as much as possible, and would LOVE to go completely organic, but being able to afford it is a different story. Found out something interesting at the Doctor's office last week, especially for those of you that have boys =) Sodium Nitrate, which is found in most processed meats, has been shown to effect concentration and attention span. If course my Eli loves bologna, hot dogs, sausage, etc... and though I have tried to limit his consumption, I have not been able to completely eliminate them from his diet. But now that I know this, I am trying to eliminate it all together!!!! He is a crazy little boy =), and a lot of the time he has trouble sitting still and focusing. But again, he is a boy and that is what most boys do. Hopefully, this will make a little bit of a difference.

If you want to know whether or not your meats have Sodium Nitrate, or if you are wondering if what you are about to buy has it, just flip it over and look at the ingredients. It is usually the last ingredient listed.

1 comment:

  1. Applegate Farms makes a DELICIOUS all beef, organic hot dog. Often these products are on sale at Kroger and Publix for lack of organic shoppers. I don't even know where to start about bologna.......

    We love you guys! And, I am not worried about Eli - he is one sharp dude!

    Auntie M

    ReplyDelete