Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Shalom…

Rejoice with your family in the beautiful land of life!  ~Albert Einstein

Seeking Shalom on Sunday…The Freemans are off…every Sunday that is.

photo

We have started ‘our church’ I guess you could say.

IMG_3095

And here is my confession!!! =) 

Connecting with my spirituality in a structured environment has always been a problem for me. I know it is completely different for everyone - but for me, I never enjoyed traditional church and never felt as though I was spiritually comfortable.  I never got the act of singing hymns from a hymnal where everyone sounded so monotone and awful, I hated reading as a congregation where no one even understood or listened to what they were really reading,  and did I ever really listen and take to heart any of the service??….honestly, not really.

Then, once kids were thrown into the mix – WOW! The stress of getting everyone ready Sunday morning, getting to church, and then worrying about leaving them while crying, germs, what-have-you – where was the enjoyment?? Sooooo not worth it for me. I got nothing out of it but stress and then half my Sunday was gone. I see where the community aspect comes into play. It is a great way to meet new friends, but still, not worth it if it is a stressful community. We’ve tried contemporary…which we somewhat enjoyed, but the stresses where still there.

IMG_3091

I have found in the past few years that I feel the most connected with my spirituality in my every day environment, Caglewood, alone time, in nature, and with my amazing family. I feel moved through music and freedom and LOVE the guitar strums over a campfire in my most favorite church, nature. Nature is where I feel closest to God, I feel enlightened and whole and most of all, I feel at peace.

IMG_3088

So here it is – our church! We have decided that every Sunday from here on out, weather permitting, we will be hopping in the car in our most comfortable clothes, throwing in some awesome music, driving to an outdoor hiking destination, taking in all we can from God’s amazing creation, playing, and enjoying our lives together. No structure, no monotone reading as a group – just complete FREEDOM and peaceful focus. This past Sunday we took in the beauty of Elachee…

IMG_3118

At the end of our hike, Paul will give a little devotion. My amazing husband is such a good realist when it comes to Christianity (or any religion) and portrays events that seem unbelievable in such a realistic way. He has taught me not to always look at things the way they are written and that questioning is ok and completely normal and is most definitely needed!! The biblical stories are not meant to always be taken literally. The boys think of any questions they have (nothing is off limits) and they discuss. Nobody is wrong or right – it is just a discussion. Crafts may be thrown in the mix some mornings by ‘yours truly’ =)

 

Afterwards….we head to Cracker Barrel for an awesome Sunday meal!! Oh yeah!! Some days…maybe a picnic.

 

The most perfect church service for our little family… and that is just it, our family! We get to stay together, worship together, explore together, all in peace and as a family. No rules…no judgment.

IMG_3072    IMG_3155

Friends and family are always welcome!!! And hopefully in the future we can have a group of guitars and amazing folks out searching for peace together =)

IMG_3076

A new tree growing out an old tree stump….awesome….

IMG_3098  IMG_3099

A lot of exploring and playing…

IMG_3092       IMG_3115

IMG_3082   IMG_3084

IMG_3086      IMG_3143

Fort Yargo this upcoming weekend…can’t wait!!! =)

IMG_3151

No comments:

Post a Comment